Monday, May 12, 2008

Gate Camping

I woke up in the station this morning and groggily sat down at my ships computers. I checked the messages going by on my corporations subspace channel and examined the recent activity on our kill boards. Several of my fellow corporation members were gate camping in a bizarre low security system that we like to frequent. It is low security but has only one entrance into it and the system just outside is high security space. There is only one way in and out and it is through CONCORD controlled area.

I hopped in my Vexor and flew over to see how things were going in person. Just before I arrived, they had caught and destroyed a Dominix battleship and then a Brutix battlecruiser. They were camping with multiple battleships and battlecruisers so that they could easily tank the gate guns and I realized that there was no way I could take part in the action without flying something tougher than my Vexor. I was extremely reluctant to pick up my Myrmidon for use in low security combat... I had just recently lost one due to a stupid mistake and I do not make nearly enough isk to afford losing another but what fun is life without a little risk? I flew back to my home station, refitted my Myrmidon so that it would be able to handle the fire of CONCORD gate guns and I returned to camp the gate with my gang. It was a very powerful feeling to be able to dictate who could and could not enter the system and it was a side I am not used to being on. I am way more familiar with being the little fish attempting to escape the camp.

Soon after I arrived with my Myrmidon, our scout on the other end of the gate informed us that another Dominix battleship was warping into the system. The Dominix is a relatively cheap drone boat and is something I hope to be flying in the near future. The pilot warped into the system and we quickly locked him down and killed him. My ship was able to handle the guns for the duration of the short fight and for a period afterwards but even in my heavily tanked battlecruiser I needed to get away from the gate guns pretty quickly before they wore me down. I also lost a few expensive drones to the guns. By examining the modules we found on the wreck it appeared that the pilot we had killed was inexperienced, poor or just stupid. The modules we found on his wreck were not nearly sufficient to effectively pilot a battleship. The loot on his wreck was nearly worthless but the real upside was that this was my first gate camp kill, my first real kill using a battlecruiser of any kind and only the third battleship I have been part of destroying since I started my career as a pilot.

On a related note, I have been informed by CONCORD that I now only have permission to fly in 0.5 and 0.6 rated high security systems. I seem to be on a slippery slope and can only wonder how much longer I will be able to live in high security space before I am forced out permanently into the wilderness that is low-sec.

4 comments:

Rattler said...

Congrats, your stories keep me busy whilst at work with nothing to do, so please keep them up.

Spectre said...

Thanks... I'm glad you're enjoying them :)

Manasi said...

Spectre..just a thought but why not go to 0.0? You might find no security status reduction a sigh of relief...Also you can kill some belt rats to gain back some status....

aaccording said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.