Wednesday, May 28, 2008

People

Last night started out like many others: totally uneventful and boring. I visited many local star systems looking for targets or goods to scavenge but came away with nothing. Finally on my way back to my home system, I spotted a Tristan frigate in a belt. I did not know it yet, but the pilot of this ship would be with me the rest of the night and seeing as how he is a real person, not just a ship, we will give him the endearing name of "Colombo". I tried to warp in on Colombo several times but he kept warping around very quickly and it took me several minutes to finally land on top of him. I locked him down and engaged and he readily did the same. He was not a pushover but in the end I won the fight, podded the pilot and then looted his wreck. I returned to a nearby station to repair and sell the loot and then un-docked to return to my home system, satisfied that I at least managed one measly kill.

As I scanned the surrounding area again, I noticed that Colombo was back! He had named his ship the same thing as his last one and was now flying around in a Caldari Merlin frigate. He was once again in a belt so I warped in on him a second time, hoping for my good fortune to repeat itself. He was there and he appeared to be waiting for me, wanting revenge. We locked into battle a second time but the outcome was again the same. He put up a fight but my searing blasters were too much to overcome. I podded Colombo (again), took the loot from the wreck and returned to the station to repair and sell the goods.

So again I left the station and decided to continue wandering the system that had just provided me two juicy kills. Within just a few minutes I managed to salvage an expensive cloaking device from another fight between two larger ships and hunt down and kill a Rifter. The Rifter pilot probably could have defeated me but he focused on destroying my drone and that gave me enough time to blast through his thick armor and get the kill.

Finally weary from the fights and almost out of ammo, I made the one jump into my home system and docked up to get a new drone, repair my ship, replenish my ammo and sell my loot. I looked up for a moment at my ships computer and realized there was another pilot around in this system as well... Colombo! He was back again? I finished my maintenance and un-docked and sure enough there he was, waiting outside the station in a Thorax cruiser. "Tsk tsk" I thought to myself. Why had he brought a bazooka to a knife fight? I warped off to safety and attempted to open a private subspace channel with him. Perhaps he would agree to a duel with me and I could fit a Vexor for the fight? Alas, it was not to happen as Colombo ignored my conversation request and permanently blocked all communications from my ship! I expressed my displeasure in the public system channel at his hostility and my desire for a duel but was instead responded to by another pilot who was monitoring the local channels who we will call "Fox".

Fox was bored as well and if Colombo wasn't going to take up my request for a one versus one duel, he would! Fox was a more experienced pilot than myself but he wanted to give me a fair chance by letting me pick his ship. So I suggested a Tristan and he went off and fit a Tristan with cheap T1 gear. It also appeared that Colombo had gotten wind of what was going on and requested that Fox help him trap and destroy me. Fox fortunately refused and let me know that he was still after me. We had our duel and I barely won (mostly thanks to my opponent taking it very easy on me). I spent the next while discussing life in the universe as well as ships and their effectiveness with Fox. He pulled out and showed me his own favorite ship, the Ishtar. The Ishtar is the tech II upgraded version of the Vexor and is capable of carrying and deploying a very large number of drones. Finally when I was done drooling, I docked up for the night still flying the same ship I had started the day with and with several new kills. As I powered down my Incursus for the night, I took one last glance at the other pilots in the system and I smirked as I saw that Colombo was still there...

In the cold lifeless vacuum that is space, you can sometimes forget that behind every ships hull is another living, breathing person. Sure they might be Amarr or Caldari scum, but they are still people. It is nice sometimes to get a first hand reminder of this fact. To my new mortal enemy Colombo, I can only hope we will meet again on the field of battle. To my new friend Fox, I hope that perhaps one day we can fly together (and kill Colombo).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its always nice to have friends, and its good that most friends u make in Eve tend to stay friends for a long long time. Same as enemies. Hope u get Columbo many many times. :)

Manasi said...

ha ha, some people do not learn the right lessons. Sad as that is,it is good on you m8 ( as they say in the UK) for reteaching the lesson. Hard being a teacher eh...