Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hit And Run

Well in my particular case it was more like "Hit And Die" but at least the rest of my gang escaped unharmed.

A number of anti-pirates were camping our station as well as one of the gates nearby (and they had managed to pop a couple of our ships). They were flying no less than four battleships, a heavy interdictor and a heavy assault ship. Even if we assembled a fleet of our biggest vessels it was likely to be a very lopsided battle so we let them continue to have free reign of our system as we looked on helplessly. Golden Helmet followed their gang around, watching and providing us with intel from his covert ops ship as they lumbered about. Finally, they all took a break gathered at a safe spot in space to wait out criminal timers. As GH watched, he realized that some ships were aligning and otheres weren't and that if they continued to travel away from each other, there was going to be a fairly large gap between some of the ships. The plan was suggested and we all agreed... we would try to hit and run and gank one of their unsuspecting ships once it was separated from the pack.

I decided to bring my Brutix to the fight and I had all the mechanics in the hangar bay help in order to get it done fast. I promised if they worked extra quickly that I would buy them all a steak dinner later that night. I might have been lying just to get my way but it was necessary in this situation. Off came the armor repairers and armor resistance plating and electron blasters. On went the ion blasters and the weapon modifications and a small plate. A buffer fit with as much damage output potential as I could possibly squeeze onto my giant flying helmet.

As I finished my prepartions and went to undock, the call came in. Almost every enemy ship had warped off and left an already damage Typhoon class battleship by itself! We set course for Golden Helmet and landed on the unsuspecting target. My Brutix, two Drakes, a Nemesis, a Stabber, an Incursus and Golden Helmet's Helios all arrived within moments and we locked down and began our assault upon the Typhoon. Unfortunately for my trusty flying space helmet, he targeted my ship and began to fight back. With my capacitor neutralized away so that I could not even fire my guns, I simply tanked as much as I could for my gang as they burned down our target. A Megathron class battleship from his group soon arrived as backup and helped finish me off but it was too little too late... the Typhoon was done for and the entire rest of the gang was able to flee safely just as the rest of our victims fleet arrived on scene.

A mediocrely fit Brutix for a rigged Typhoon? I'll take that trade.

6 comments:

Mynxee said...

Seems kind of silly for them to leave the Typhoon...you put some right good damage on him, Spec. Seeing GH's cov ops on the KM made me giggle...I love how you guys just get into the fray and duke it out.

WTM said...

Brutix v Typhoon... yup you won in isk terms.

Good to see people willing to fling themselves on the metaphorical grenade so the rest of the gang/corp/alliance can succeed....

GH said...

I don't know why people call me crazy for battle fitting my Helios. It has a drone bay it otherwise wouldn't be using, it can tackle, go decently fast... one light drone isn't much for damage, but every little bit helps, and people ignore it so its great for a constant point, Helios ftw!

The best part was the smack they dealt afterwards, thinking they had somehow won... that was hilarious. I love my job.

ombeve said...

This shows why Fleet discipline is so important- you don't keep up with the pack, you die. Good post

skye said...

haha was a great little gank, shame you lost your brutix, but like you said, it was worth it xD

skye said...

also revenge is sooo sweet, lost my rupture to those guys, serves me right i guess for trying to solo a zealot xD