Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's Not The Size Of The Wave...

...But The Motion Of The Ocean

It felt good to be back in my Blasteranis. I sat on a gate leading to high security space where I could not jump to, watching my target in a Hurricane. He sat in his battlecruiser almost on top of the gate as though he was ready to jump through. Unmoving and not doing anything, I would have wondered if he was not at the controls had I not just seen him leave deadspace and warp here a few minutes ago.

I was joined soon after by another pilot in my corporation also in a 'Cane and we considered whether or not to risk the gate guns and my fragile interceptor in an attack. Before we could finish our decision making, the gate fired and a Drake battlecruiser uncloaked nearby. Some quick reconnisance let me determine that the Drake pilot was very new and not in league with the Hurricane. He must have been enticed by my blinky redness because he almost immediately engaged and the fight was on! Before I could even close range enough to begin hitting with my blasters, I was halfway through my armor, being pelted by his heavy missiles. I calmed myself and ignored the panic that comes with seeing my ship in structure. I reminded myself that the hull is how the Taranis tanks. Finally in blaster range, I opened fire, overheated my guns and let the joyous feeling of an intense and dangerous battle flow through me.

We continued to fire on the Drake, my hull continued to buckle, the sentry guns continued to pelt my wingman and the other Hurricane continued to sit there and ignore the crazyness going on all around him. Finally, the Drake's tank broke and we smashed through his armor and hull. I turned to flee from the encounter just as the Hurricane finally woke up and targetted my Taranis. As I fled at several thousand kilometers a second, he managed to fire one volley that clipped my ship and nearly did me in. Once, safely away from the combat zone I did a system diagnostic. Shields: 0%. Armor: 0%. Hull: 2%. Two Percent. Most certainly the narrowest margin by which I have ever survived an encounter.

Big Mistake

No matter how many times I am promised revenge by my victims, I have yet to see anyone follow through with their threats:

[ 2008.09.11 15:09:49 ] Spectre3353 > hello
[ 2008.09.11 15:09:53 ] Spectre3353 > 5 million ISK and your pod can go

[ 2008.09.11 15:09:58 ] Spectre3353 > you have 30 seconds to place
the money in my wallet
[ 2008.09.11 15:10:02 ] Camxena > big mistake.

[ 2008.09.11 15:10:12 ] Spectre3353 > 20 seconds

[ 2008.09.11 15:10:24 ] Camxena > you have 30 seconds to see my corp.

[ 2008.09.11 15:10:26 ] Spectre3353 > 10 seconds

[ 2008.09.11 15:10:37 ] Spectre3353 > yea, ive never heard this one before

[ 2008.09.11 15:10:40 ] Camxena > go for it we are watching

[ 2008.09.11 15:10:40 ] Spectre3353 > oh wait, i have, about 700 times
[ 2008.09.11 15:10:41 ] Spectre3353 > have a good day

It never gets old.

6 comments:

Manasi said...

Yarr yee be a nasty (but lucky) even skillful hull tanking pirate!

Xephys said...

Hull tanking is how real men do it :P

Nice kills, and a narrow escape. That must have had your heart beating.

Jarek said...

Wow... 2% that's damn crazy. Nice one! Such hairpin close fights are the best. You beat my closest fight ever, in which i was in my ishkur vs wolf, and i ended up winning with 3% structure left.
Fights when you don't know you're winning/surviving until the last moment, are quite a thrill.

Helicity Boson said...

well, in all seriousness, the worst that can happen is that a bunch of newbs come to auro and camp our station, while we sit in our luxurious lounge playing poker :D

...or we hotdrop carriers on em.

ubernero said...

once got into it with another thorax under gategun fire, managed to bug out with 1% structure, that was a damn close fight.

Lars Lodar said...

I had a super close fight last night. Ask me about it in game next time you see me.