Sunday, October 19, 2008

Electronic Countermeasures

The Event

Floating lazily in my Brutix battlecruiser, several hundred kilometers away from a station, I monitored the many communications channels on my screens and in my ears and munched on some Cracker Jacks. I hate when all the damn peanuts sink to the bottom. This company has been around thousands of years and they still can't find a way to package a proper ratio of nuts to corn? I continued to munch as one new face appeared in the system and moments later his Megathron fell out of warp near the station I was orbiting. I kept on chewing my snack whilst keeping my eyes glued to my monitors and out the glass into space. He was slowly, very slowly, picking up speed and aligning himself towards me. I guess it was a fight he wanted.

I checked with my gang-mate Apoctasy to see what he thought about our chances:

[04:17:38 ] Spectre3353 > are you certain you can perma jam?
[04:17:47 ] Spectre3353 > like 100% certain? 
[04:17:47 ] Apoctasy > no

[04:17:51 ] Apoctasy > but we can try 
[04:17:53 ] Spectre3353 > ok well then he'll smoke me

[04:18:09 ] Spectre3353 > god im gonna regret this


Do I really want to lose a fourth ship today? I sighed and let the little birdy in my ear named Apoctasy convince me to give it a shot. I watched amused as the Mega slowly lumbered it's way slowly towards me and decided to speed up the process. Microwarpdrive on, I closed the distance and right as I was about to engage I gave the signal for my ace in the hole to uncloak.

[04:20:24 ] Spectre3353 > ok do it now 
[04:20:54 ] Apoctasy > k well I failed alot

[04:20:58 ] Apoctasy > round two coming up

Apoctasy and his Falcon missed the first jam. This did not bode well. Fortunately my opponent was only able to get off a single salvo before being jammed on the second try. I busily set about trying to burn through his huge buffer of armor plating but realized I was still taking almost more damage than I could handle. I had no choice but to turn my attention to his group of Ogre drones that were tearing me up. After several minutes of keeping my ship repaired, destroying the Megathron's drones, keeping him almost completely jammed and putting all the blaster and drone damage I could muster upon his hull, the battleship exploded. We had won without any losses and the loot was fairly good. I felted elated at killing such a monster of a ship that outclasses my Brutix in every way but I also felt a bit cheap at having him completely jammed by what many consider to be the most overpowered ship in the universe.

The Question

So I still cannot decide how to feel about having a Falcon on my side. I went most of my career having some gang members flying Blackbirds but it always felt a bit more acceptable having an ECM ship they could see coming and counter. The Falcon on the other hand with its cloak and ability to permanantly jam multiple ships from quite a distance is almost godly. I pretty much avoid any encounter we can with a gang that has a Falcon or a pilot that we have seen fly a Falcon previously. And on the other side of the coin, I feel perfectly safe engaging several larger ships even if I am alone in a tech I cruiser if I have a Falcon at my back. It is simply that effective. Is it overpowered by being able to take multiple ships completely out of the fight from a very long distance away? Should it not be able to fit a covert ops cloak? Does ECM in general ruin the combat experience whenever it shows up? Am I just being a girl about this and I should be happy to take whatever help I can get on the battlefield?

Leaving On A Jet Plane

I am taking a vacation from pirating to attend the 1487th annual Pokemon convention on Amarr Prime. I am very excited and planning on dressing up as Charizard. Because of my trip, there will be no new posts from me for the next week and a half. See you all then.

15 comments:

Jason said...

Yea, you are indeed complaining about ECM too much.

I personally fly with a corp that is fairly well known for fielding lots and lots and lots and lots of ECM in it's fleets. If your foe cannot target you, they cannot shoot you. If they can't shoot you, then you can dominate them.

As for fair fights, it's simple: Any fight I win was fair. If I lose, then it wasn't fair enough.

Mynxee said...

Falcons are scary. Their long distance jamming abilities seem out of balance with the other Force Recon Ships' abilities. I like them on my side, and hate it when the opposition is employing them.

We'll miss you, Spec. Safe journey. See you when you get back. (And for real, Pokemon?! LOLs.)

Apoctasy said...

Did somebody say JAM?

No'Wai said...

i hafta agree with the previously mentions lawls...pokemon and you? wow...hey but have fun! see ya when you return

Lars Lodar said...

I think overall the falcon is balanced for a number of reasons.

* Slow
* No tank
* No damage
* Can't solo
* Chance based jamming

Granted, they can be annoying as hell to face, but a lot of ships piss me off.

Josh (GH) said...

Look at it this way: if WE field Falcons, in any number, we are awesome and Eve's best pvp'ers. But if anyone else fields them, their a bunch of infected whores that need to die :D

And enjoy the Pokemon convention! I'd attend too if I could :(

San Rintu said...

Josh hits it on the head. When the B's roll two of them out we, we are tactically sublime, deified, masters of the universe.

When we see an enemy gang do it they are pussy hackers who can't fight. WoW rejects afraid to lose their ships.

I stopped flying one on San due to all the hate mail...

Kirith Kodachi said...

If the mega pilot had fitted even one ECCM module, the Falcon might have had a much harder time jamming him.

Also, if your buddy had not been there and the mega got the drop on you, do you think he would have deactivated weapons and let you fly free since his battleship outclassed your battlecruiser? Not a chance. :)

Josh (GH) said...

Even with ECCM, its still possible to get a jam. For instance, my Archon with two ECCM's and 240-something sensor strength, got jammed by a MINMATAR racial jammer, and a couple times by Amarr racials. In another instance (without ECCM), a Falcon shut down my Archon and another corpies Chimera at the same time. Nerf Falcons tbh :(

Kirith Kodachi said...

According to my calculations, a Falcon with 6 racial ECM at 10.95319 strength against a ship with sensor strength 240 have a combined chance of getting a jam at ~24%.

That means he had to have 6 Amarr ecm to get that 240 sensor strength archon jammed 1 out of four cycles.

A single ecm mod has about a 5% chance to jam. I'm not saying its not possible, but a Falcon that misses a jam cycle can usually be destroyed or driven off in the twenty seconds to the next try.

Kirith Kodachi said...

"A single ecm mod has about a 5% chance to jam."

To clarify, I meant in that specific scenario.

Josh (GH) said...

Yeah, its still a low chance, but as much as I hate to play this card, its a fucking capital ship, come on. Only way to truely avoid getting jammed is Triage mode, but the way I look at it, if you have to use Triage you REALLY screwed up :P

Kinda makes me want to drop the tank \ remote tank setup and set up for long range Falcon smashing though. Need to find a way to make Wardens hit at 150-180km....

Kirith Kodachi said...

One could argue that a capital ship should have sufficient support such that a single jamming ship would have trouble jamming the cap as well as the support.

*shrugs* A lot of people feel like you do, but being a hardcore falcon pilot myself I tell you that its not the "I win" button against the prepared. (I am biased of course :) )

Josh (GH) said...

Most of the time my carrier is out, its just for the close quarters fights where the remote reps can be used, so all the support is up close as well and can't go get rid of the falcon when its 150-180km off =\

I love the Falcon for small gangs, it can easily balance out the fight when out numbered, which to me is half the point. Its just kinda annoying how effective they are against everything not immune to ewar, to the point where prettymuch everyone and their mother has a falcon =\

Tony said...

Hehe Caldari FTW!

Have mucho fun!