Friday, October 3, 2008

Touche Salesman

Aurohunen was quiet. Too quiet. I sat in an observatory spot, watching the scanner and drinking a beer. I went down the latest scanner results list. Friendly Armageddon. Friendly Raven. Friendly Rifter. Vexor... whos Vexor is that? I hopped up and warped my ship into the particular belt where the cruiser sat and landed just in time to see him warp towards a nearby gate. I aligned and followed his path, hoping for one of those rare and intense cruiser one-versus-one battles. He was there waiting for me and the fight was on. I was hopelessly addicted to the adreneline rush of combat and finally here was a big fat fix. Locked up with each other, webbed, scrambled, blasters flashing and drones whirring around. I was never really in that much danger as I overloaded my guns, ran my armor repairer and destroyed my opponent without ever hitting structure.

I gathered a good gob of loot from my victims wreck and went back to my safe spot. I sighed contentedly, sat back in my seat and opened another beer. The scanner continued to spew out results and I continued to doze and drink. I cracked my eyes to check the latest results again. 'Geddon. Raven. Rifter.... Vexor? My victim was back! He must want another round of woop-ass. I promised him over the comms that our engagement would be free of any outside assistance from my corporation and we locked into battle once again, this time in an asteroid belt. It started out much the same until we both began taking damage to our armor and I realized that my capictor was empty. My opponent had fit his new ship with neutrailizers. I couldn't fire my guns. I couldn't fire my microwarpdrive. I couldn't repair the damage I was taking. I was done for.

He had fit a new ship specifically to counter the one I had just killed him with and then extracted his revenge thanks to my stupid overconfidence. Touche.

8 comments:

Lachesis said...

So, how did you engage him on the gate in your Thorax without dying to the guns? I take it he attacked you first?

Spectre said...

Yep. I waited until he engaged me first.

Pegleg Punk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pegleg Punk said...

It has been my experience that an enlightened mark is a bad mark.
That is why I require my hired hauler(s) to equip a ship scanner. Often when an opponent gives me the heebee-jeebeez there is usually a reason.

This is where my overwhelming paranoia pays off!

*Removed to fix a grammatical error*

Mynxee said...

Welcome back, Spectre. You've been missed!!! Looks like back up to your old tricks...I have a jump clone in Aurohunen ^^

Lanissum said...

I really which I could use jump clones... but standing is kinda difficult to get w/o missioning.

Spectre said...

Pegleg: I had actually told the guy after our first fight that I was almost out of cap when I killed him. I basically gave him the recipe to come back and get revenge and he was smart enough to use it. Definitely a lesson not to let your guard down.

Mynx: You will have to come visit. Let me know if you want me to pick you up a ship or something that is cruiser sized or smaller.

Cpt. Infidel said...

wb... good story :)