Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pirates Log

Stardate 09.21.05

Today, I tried something new. I needed money so I attempted something an associate had suggested. I traveled to Jita, purchased a number of cheap ships and then spent hours modifying them to resemble considerably more expensive ones. I can't say that the Stabbers really looked that convincing but you only need one stupid person out of hundreds and it all becomes worthwhile.

I wandered up and down the packed halls of the busiest trade station in the galaxy, wearing a disguise and hawking my wares to every person I could get to listen for even a mere moment. Some were smart enough to not even let me speak. Some seemed interested but immediately scoffed and insulted me when they saw the scam I was trying to pull. Several even tried to pull a reversal by offering ISK that at a glance seemed to be the right price but was actually several zero's too short. Finally, a few poor souls did not pay enough attention and paid me the full price for a Fleet Issue Stabber when they were getting a ship that was actually not. I very quickly shuffled out of the hangar before they discovered their mistakes. I was up hundreds of millions after only a few hours work. So why did I feel so low? This was just another form of piracy, so why did it feel different? I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Later in the afternoon I tried to trick another one. He was young and looking for a Fleet Issue Stabber he had been saving for for years. His wife, of all people, noticed immediately what he was almost about to pay for. She got angry. Very, very angry. She slapped me in the face and I was left stunned with my cheesy fake mustache now hanging on by a last little gob of glue. There was yelling and they stormed out. Why am I doing this? Does this make me a truly bad person? Is it worth the money...?


Stardate 09.22.05

Today, Golden Helmet broke open the corporation hangar for us all. Inside was an astonishing number of Catalyst destroyers, already fit and ready to fly. We got half a dozen pilots set up and onto a nearby high security gate. We carefully planned our route and actions and when the time was right, we blew past CONCORD and the Caldari Navy for just long enough to set back a couple of miners some serious cash. There was nothing they could do to stop our pods from escaping back to a safer system as we cackled and laughed.

Again and again and again we threw away cheap vessels for the pure enjoyment of griefing the unsuspecting. I can only imagine what it is like to one minute be mining in a belt with your Hulk and an Iteron when you suddenly several pirates land in your belt and destroy everything you have. Will his children not be fed tonight? Why are we intent on extending our reach to those hard working miners in highsec? I feel like I am slipping into a hole from which I can never escape. From bad to awful. Will we soon lose our grips on humanity and degenerate into wild, rabid animals? I... I really don't know anymore.


Stardate 09.23.05

Today, I saw a very, very young pilot in a Raven wandering around my region. Normally I would try to trick such an individual into letting me get a free kill. Today I took it a few steps beyond. I conned him into joining me at a point in space away from any sentry protection by telling him I needed help with a mission assigned from the Caldari Navy. When he arrived to "help", I blasted his ship to near destruction and forced him to eject. Through some elaborate scheming afterward, I sold his ship back to him in a station for one-hundred million ISK and then myself and my corporation ganked him as he undocked.

There was no terms or conditions on any of these deals. Once I had sold him his ship back, the transaction was done but I still feel as though I have lost all bearings on my moral compass. Is this piracy? Is this simply our group of rebels lashing out and causing as much vicious grief to those around us as possible? This was the last straw and we had stepped off the edge. I have fallen into the hole and there is no way out. It used to just be a game we played. But now? Now I am not so sure.

16 comments:

Josh (GH) said...

Ahh, the slippery slope from bad to evil. Don't you just love this job?

P.S. if I'm not busy tomorrow, I'll go pick up 50 more Catalysts ;)

Le Sac said...

Thrashers/Coercers plox :D

BuRniZZ said...

That Raven gank was evil, pure evil. Also, you probably made a guy Carebear4life. lol

Anonymous said...

Why are you musing about your wrongdoings Spectre....? You know better, so do better.....

Elliya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dexter Tripod said...

well played sir! You know, I think I ran into you in Jita the other day. I thought the moustache looked a little off, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Kazaji said...

Spectre, is that guilt Im sensing?

Your blog was the reason I started to pirate, so dont be getting soft on me.

And remember, the golden rule of Piracy; RESPECT!
:P

Anonymous said...

You've always been a soft one spec.

Tony "EVE's Weekend Warrior" said...

Good job, sounds like fun.

I think I saw some guys from your corp running through high sec yesterday!

Andrea skye said...

Hes showing signs of weakness once more. Anyone remember the 100 mil pod incident?

Lynch him! Hes unfit to lead! Mutiny!

Josh (GH) said...

REBEL, LITTLE PYTHONS! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Lanissum said...

Lol

Go get a lobotomy before those misgivings become worse.

Mynxee said...

Like ANYONE would believe that you have a conscience!!! Next thing we know, you'll be asking for ISK donations to help pay for that "expensive therapy" you need to recalibrate that moral compass of yours. ROFL!

And BTW, fun times with the Drake. I LOL'd.

Kyle Langdon said...

You bad, bad man ;)

Latrodanes said...

In all cases, your marks/targets made decisions which permitted you to hurt them. So, really you are teaching them valuable lessons. You sir, are an educational resource in EvE!

JEM said...

I don't mind getting blown up or even podded by pirates. I see that as part of the game.

But scammers! Ugh, no honor. I think most pirates have some notion of honor, but scammers, none.

I keep those "Navy Issue Vexors" as a reminder to always check a little deeper. I was more annoyed and upset at that than losing my Obelisk to pirates.