Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Delights In Blood

Gaggi's Phobos

Last night I scheduled an op for the corp. The premise was simple yet challenging. Take one of the four logistics/mining cruisers (Osprey, Augoror, Exequror or Scythe) and fit it for combat in a gang. None of the ships remote transfer/repair bonuses were to be utilized and each pilot must come up with a way of fitting these non-combat ships for for down and dirty PvP. For example, here is what I flew for the night:

[Exequror, Shit Ship]
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II

10MN Microwarpdrive I
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

200mm Autocannon II
200mm Autocannon II
200mm Autocannon II
200mm Autocannon II

Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Projectile Ambit Extension I
Projectile Ambit Extension I

Hobgoblin II x2
Hammerhead II x3

About 250 DPS and a 20,000 EHP tank but most importantly... 900m3 of cargo space! Our gang formed up with several Exequrors and Scythes and one single Augoror. We roamed up and down one of the usually busy pipes but only managed to find and gank a single cruiser the entire way. Finally we gave in and turned to visit the always busy system of Amamake where we would be guaranteed to either kill something or die horribly (probably the latter).

We arrived in Amamake and managed to quickly kill a Hurricane that got himself stuck on an asteroid in a belt. Waiting out our timers in space, we listened to our scouts declare that a Phobos had just landed in Amamake 3-1 along with a couple of frigates. We landed in the belt and engaged GaGGiChief's Phobos and I ordered everyone to put their full DPS on the Heretic Army pilot. A Heretic in a HIC in this belt was pretty much guaranteed bait for an enormous blob about to land. I watched as his armor hit 50% and I looked all around my ship. The blob would be landing any second now. I watched as his armor hit 25% and I expected that suddenly, five Falcons would uncloak. I watched his armor burn off completely and his ship explode and all that had warped in to help was a single Kitsune frigate.

Where was the blob? Heretics had just warped a Phobos into the top belt and then allowed a gang of mining cruisers (from a corp they have a campaign against) to gank it and warp away without reprecussion? How very, very bizarre. I am now convinced that the apocalypse is upon us and the end of the universe is very, very near.

My Phobos

I am nearing completion for my training of Heavy Interdictors. Earlier in the week I spent a frustrating few hours trying to figure which HIC I wanted to fly (Phobos or Devoter) as well as how I wanted to fit said vessel. I cannot remember ever having been so confused as to what to do when getting into a new type of ship. I did finally choose a Phobos so that I could bring something unique to the gang. Everyone else has super tanking Broadswords and Onyxes already, if I use a Phobos then I can bring a HIC that has a MWD and is actually mobile.


Once I had chosen the ship, I still was confused. The Phobos has bonuses to medium hybrids but it is pretty much impossible to fit a rack of medium blasters without having to drop the nearly mandatory cap booster. Do I fit a big buffer with one armor repairer or attempt to active tank more by fitting no plate and two reps? Two sensor boosters or one sensor booster and a web? Trimark armor rigs? Armor repairing rigs? Sensor boosting rigs? So confusing... finally I settled on this fit:

[Phobos, Gatecamp]
Damage Control II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Medium Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Armor Explosive Hardener II

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive
Medium Electrochemical Capcitor Booster I
F-90 Positional Sensor Subroutines
F-90 Positional Sensor Subroutines

Dual 150mm Railgun II
Dual 150mm Railgun II
Dual 150mm Railgun II
Dual 150mm Railgun II
Dual 150mm Railgun II
Warp Disruption Field Generator I

Trimark Armor Pump I
Trimark Armor Pump I

The pink Thorax is now sitting in my hangar, ready to go but I am still in the process of finishing skills to be able to use the Warp Disruption Field Generator and to get my Heavy Interdictors skill up to IV. I should be done and ready to start deploying my Phobos early next week.

Not Related To Anyones Phobos

Myself, my corp and my blog have all reached a number of milestones this month and I wish to share:

Spectre
2000 lifetime kills and 20,000,000 skill points

The Python Cartel
4000 kills since reforming in March

EveNewb
100,000 pageviews and 50,000 visits

20 comments:

Latrodanes said...

Congratulations on the milestones!!Sounds like a great romp. Looks like I'll be flying around down there for the Amarr Militia so looking forward to seeing you folks out in the wilds. Cheers.

Helicity Boson said...

*party hat*

*drunken dancing*

Manasi said...

Hey Spectre I do not fly the Phobos yet but the Devoter I do now...IIRC you cannot repair while the interdiction field is active....granted that specific case I may not have tested yet...I know that no outside armor/shield repair can happen while the field is up..if indeed you cannot repair things then i would build as big a buffer as possible ( with 1600's) and then see where she is at. Let us know if you can actaully repair armor while the field is active. :)

i hope you like your Phobos as much as I like my Broadsword.

Spectre said...

Manasi: The utilization of the ship is a little bit different in lowsec. I cannot use the interdiction field but rather I use a script to infinite point one target at a time and use the buffer to soak up sentry gun fire and then rep it back up once the engagement is over. Definitely a very different ship depending on whether or not you're using it in lowsec or nullsec.

Josh (GH) said...

You still can't be remote repped w\ the infini point generator going though, I tested it back in TGA with one of their dictors. I dunno how personal reps go though.

Le Sac said...

Le Sac

Trained Engineering V.

Spectre said...

GH + Manasi: Considering most of the Phobos fits I see are dual rep, I am going to have to assume that you can run them while the focused disruptor is on or else it would be really silly.

Teister said...

Tick
Tock

Pastor Phelps said...

Wow! Congratulations on the 2000 kills. Doesn't that average over 100 kills per month since your character's birth?

Andrea skye said...

gota do mining cruiser op again, i love that Exequer. Awesome ship!

EveMonkey said...

one thing you may find useful, if you are flying in a fleet rather than relying on yourself for all the DPS is fit a medium nosferatu in your high - the best named ("diminishing" I think) will easily make up for running the warp disruptor and make it a bit more easier to rep.

I fly an onyx however which relies on the shield's natural passive regen and can sit at lowsec gates with stable 70% shield. something to look into if you're doing a lot of lowsec work.

Sadinshadow said...

XD nice kill on heretic. but with out a blobtastic response from heretic? im gonna keep my eye out for anything close to dimensional tearing in the sky..... *looks out window worried*

and great job on the milestones! cant wait to hit them my self lol
now if only my blog actually got visitors :P

Xephys said...

Very cool post, I'm actually in the same place as you! Around 2 days away from being able to fly a Broadsword (fully, I can get into mine already, just not use it).

Also, congratulations on your milestones, hope to see those numbers double soon. x)

Yargok said...

Yep, sounds awesome!
Too bad I missed it.

And GO GO phobos!

Jel Malar said...

Congrats on the stats and blog hits.

Tony "EVE's Weekend Warrior" said...

Congrats! Now for some in character...

Wow, someday I want to be JUST like that ebil pirate Spectre!

CrazyKinux said...

Welcome (back) to the EVE Blog Pack. Look for a post about it soon.

Brutus said...

Congrats on the Phobos - it's a really fun ship to fly, definitely different from Broadswords or Onyxes

Fiammata said...

wow..its over...no more

i found this blog, it filled my last week with wonder as i caught up on all the adverntures of Mrs Pilkins and the Scoundrel she has clean her stall.

so i sit here today, having read them all. It left me wanting only one thing...

taking my navitas into 0.0 to see how long i can last...

well i look forward to keeping this bookmarked and checking it.

Htrag said...

Spec, grats on your milestones and corp success