Monday, September 14, 2009

The Great Hunt

One of my most important personal rules in Eve is to try and be patient and always expect that people will make stupid mistakes. Did that newb just warp to a station? Sure he might dock up, but follow him just in case... maybe he warped to 30KM or has an aggression timer or went AFK to get get a Slurpee. You really never know what is going to happen or what dumb stuff people will do until you are willing to be patient and wade through the other 90% of targets who don't do anything dumb and waste your time.

So grab a chair, put on a blanket and grab an orange cream Slurpee because I am about to tell you an ancient story about a group of rebels who were rewarded for their perserverance and fortitude against a newb...


Long Epic Version

It was a cold and stormy winter night. Myself and my good friends of the Python Cartel were snuggled warmly around a nearby stargate, ganking every poor soul that dared to venture through. A cry came through from Helicity, who had been generating some yellow snow, far off in the distance.

Helicity: I see a Navy Mega on scan over here!

Spectre: Your pee is mega clear?? Why do I need to know this?

Helicity: NO! I SEE A NAVY MEGATHRON ON SCAN OVER HERE!

Oh! A Navymega! One of the most fearsome wintery creatures to ever roam the land! It's pelts were extremely valuable and it's horns were a trophy that every hunter would prize. We rushed back to the cabin to grab our most appropriate shotguns and rifles and grenades and nuclear tipped assault missiles. I called upon my skills to locate the beast and quickly was able to track and guide our party to his hunting grounds. As the prey became visible, we discovered he was not alone! Another hunter was already engaged in combat with the monster and at the sight of our group, both fled. In disappointment, we watched as the great Navymega escaped towards his distant lair. Not wanting to give up on such a magnificant opportunity, I ran ahead of my friends before we lost its trail. I arrived at the entrance of his glowering lair and stood before the great beast, expecting him to dive inside to safety. What happened next was unthinkable. He gave a great roar and attacked!


I dove out of the way and began firing my puny weapons. I could not handle this challenge alone but my friends began to arrive and our combined might was far too much for the Navymega to withstand. He let loose a piercing howl as we punctured his skin with our weapons and part of his arm was blown off by a rocket propelled grenade. Soon it was too much and he collapsed to the ground, barely alive but clearly beaten. We had captured a Navymega! Even more amazing was the treasures that we discovered inside his lair only moments later! We would be rich beyond our wildest dreams:


Short Boring Version

We probed out a Megathron Navy Issue in a mission. The pilot was out of point range and already being tackled by another pirate. They were both spooked and they both warped away to a station. We followed the Megathron and he attacked me instead of docking. At 50% hull he ejected and left us the ship. It was faction fit and we estimate the overall value of what he left to be around 1.7 billion ISK. We were happy.


I Always Wanted One Of These

Instead of simply taking my share of the loot, I have decided to put it towards purchasing this ship from everyone involved in its capture. I am not planning on really undocking it until I have finished training Large Blaster Specialization for T2 large blasters and perhaps Gallente Battleship V (which will be months from now). I was considering a fit that would go something like this:

[Megathron Navy Issue, No-RR]
Damage Control II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Amarr Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Amarr Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Quad LiF Fueld I Booster Rockets
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Shadow Serpentis Statis Webifier
Medium Capacitor Booster II

Neutron Blaster Cannon II
Neutron Blaster Cannon II
Neutron Blaster Cannon II
Neutron Blaster Cannon II
Neutron Blaster Cannon II
Neutron Blaster Cannon II
Neutron Blaster Cannon II
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator

Trimark Armor Pump I
Trimark Armor Pump I
Trimark Armor Pump I

Ogre II x5
Warrior II x10

This fit is of course dependant upon the Dominion navy ship changes that have been proposed. The navy mega is supposedly recieving an extra 55 CPU, 775 grid and 50m3 of drone space which is reflected in the fit above. I am not expert on battleships and their fittings, so any suggestions would be wonderful. This of course is intended as a ship for station games only. I have other disposible and affordable battleships for less safe situations (ie: unrigged Domi's).

12 comments:

Quivering Palm said...

he ejected!??! WTF?!?!

...awesome narration as always!

Kyle Langdon said...

Hey now you can buy me some plexes so I can play EVE again! Do it!!!

P.S. Cool story bro

Fiammata said...

So....

I have learned alot from reading all your posts

1 the bigger the ship, dosnt mean that it can make up for skill

2 you guys would fit in well working at a used car lot

3 almost makes me want to be a pirate

4 eve is full of idiots, would be a great place to run a nigerian scam


maybe someday you will have heard of me, and beg me to join.. if not..at least i got a few good blogs to read!

Henry Kissinger said...

Unless you're going to hand out blow jobs to everyone in The Python Cartel I don't think they will be begging you for anything Fiammata.

Spectre said...

Omgah: Stop posting on my blog you turd.

Myrhial Arkenath said...

Power to those with patience, alright. What an awesome catch.

Helicity Boson said...

The lesson to be learned here is this:

Always press the scan button, even when undocking after making some yellow snow.

Dudestorm said...

I know nothing of Eve (maybe its better that way?) but blue raspberry Slurpee is WAY better...

Yargok said...

You are going to be the next faceplante.. sitting in his station with his expensive ships, only undocking for safe kills or stationfights :P

But seriously, good catch.

Xephys said...

Yargok, it is inevitable, once you build up a fortune with plenty of expensive ships, you become more wary of dangers, undertstand what you might loose a ship to, and that losing any of your ships will hurt your pocket since we pimp them out too much. :(

*goes to buy some unrigged battleships*

Jel Malar said...

90% is pretty generous...

Htrag said...

haha, grats on the nice ship