The original intent wasn't to make a big deal of it. See if I could make a few ISK and then fly home with my new ship a few minutes later. It was so addicting so quickly that I wound up staying and continuing to grow my business for the next few days. The method that I used was one that Lanissum taught me and has already outlined in his own blog but I will elaborate on it here as well for clarity:
A Simple And Effective Way To Scam:
The idea here is to trick people into thinking that a ship you are selling them is in fact it's faction counterpart. Personally, I attempt to sell Megathrons and Vexors as Megathron Navy Issues and Vexor Navy Issues. All you really need to be able to pull this off is the capital to buy a few of each ship and the ability to "make active" or sit in the ship so that you can rename it. You can use any character to do this but most prefer using an anonymous alt.
(1) Go to a busy trade hub and enter the main station where everyone usually goes to do business (ie: Planet 4, Moon 4 in Jita).
(2) Select the "Guests" in the station window. Go down the entire list, selecting 10 pilots at a time using Ctrl or Shift. Right click once they are all selected and select the "Send Message" option.
(3) Send an Eve-Mail that states you are selling Navy Megathrons and Navy Vexors. It is best to list a price and give some sort of reason as to why you are selling them on the cheap but it is really up to your personal style. Go down the list and do as many people as you want but realize that if you do too many, too fast, you may wind up with more conversations going at once then you can handle.
(4) Sit and wait for responses. When people do respond, act normal and act like you're selling legitimate ships. Most people will not fall for it but when you are contacting hundreds of people in a short period, a few are bound to bite. When you do suck someone into your scam, make sure the trade is done via the trade window and not contracts. This makes it difficult for someone that isn't paying attention to notice that your Megathron Navy Issue is really just a Megathron named "Megathron Navy Issue".
(5) Bask in the ISK and the hatemail because believe me, you will get a lot of both if you're doing it right.
How I Fared Trying This Over The Past Week:
A picture is worth a thousand words so I'll just tell you that last week I had a little under a billion ISK and today my wallet looks like this:
Some of the money was spent and some was given away to my corp-mates. Had I not spent or given any away, the number would probably be closer to five-billion ISK. I estimate in total that I moved over fifteen Megathrons and around the same number in Vexors. Most of my work was done in a single trade hub but I moved around between three and made some sales in all of them. It was surprisingly effective and several members of my corp noticed my success and jumped in on the action as well. As an entire corp we probably had an income of nearly 10 billion ISK scamming using the above method in the past five days.
The Types Of Responses You Get To Doing This:
Response Type #1: No response at all. Most people fall into this category and don't bother to reply, probably because they don't care about your offer or they know it's a scam right off the bat.
Response Type #2: You get blown off immediately. They send you a mail saying "No Thanks", "No Thanks Scammer" or "Fuck Off You Fucking Cocksucker".
2009.10.27 23:26Response Type #3: You get mild, cautious interest but they bail out once they realize that the ships in the trade window are not actually faction or that you're not willing to make the deal via contracts.
nice scam bro
[04:45:18 ] BeeShuu > can u make a contract for me? to bayer22 thats my money dude
[04:45:30 ] ScamAlt> all my slots are used up on other contracts
[04:46:20 ] BeeShuu > ahh damn alright let me log him on
[04:46:22 ] ScamAlt> can trade in station though
[04:46:23 ] ScamAlt> k
[04:48:53 ] BeeShuu > ok i got the money on this account but i'll only buy through a buy contract. so if you really not scamming, which is a rare possibility ill put up a buy contract and u can accept it or else good try :)
[04:49:12 ] ScamAlt> i have no contract slots open and i am not scamming
[04:49:15 ] ScamAlt> its just a navy mega
[04:49:30 ] ScamAlt> Megathron Navy Issue
[04:49:32 ] ScamAlt> thats the ship
[04:49:37 ] BeeShuu > u don't have to have a contract slot open to accept one
[04:49:53 ] BeeShuu > there
[04:50:03 ] ScamAlt> theyre not free :/
[04:50:43 ] BeeShuu > i'll only buy through contract
Response Type #4: They fall for the trap and then realize afterward that you scammed them. Sometimes they're amazed. Sometimes they're amused. Most of the time they are ANGRY:
[22:31:50 ] Antiochus Soter > nice scamming scammer
[22:31:53 ] Antiochus Soter > learn to sux less
[22:32:12 ] ScamAlt> im just trying to put food on the table
[22:32:14 ] ScamAlt> just like any other businessman
[22:32:19 ] Antiochus Soter > false
[22:32:28 ] Antiochus Soter > run missions
[22:32:35 ] Antiochus Soter > go mine
[22:33:05 ] ScamAlt> you could never understand the hardships i must endure
i cant believe i fell for that and i kno im not getting money back but i guess i deserve it for being so careless lol. good luck with other people
Hey I want my money back man. C'mon thats friggin low. I'd never do that to somebody. I could have used that to buy a PLEX, instead I give it to you and you friggin scam me. At least have the respect to honour your deal. Why would you do such a thing? I spent time training for the ship you supposedly sold me and it was a scam. Please, that was a lot of money for me.
You're a lost cause to humanity. That's fucking low, I again trusted you, but checked through the contract carefully this time. Which you sadly taught me I have to do every time now. ANyhow, I've met thousands of people in my lifetime and I'm very VERY glad I don't know you. From how you are in this game tells me a lot about how you are as a person. And obviously you know that I trust easily. Because people where I'm from don't treat others that way. It's fucking wrong, it would have just been funny if you really would have paid me back. So goodluck in life, someday you'll realize there's more to EVE than scamming people in stations. And oh yeah, watch your back, I know Im covered because I treat others with respect and they'll pay me back, but people like you will end up on the wrong end of things. Mark my words.....................take a long look at yourself.
[05:29:23] MasterParty > wow you piece of shit
[05:29:25] MasterParty > you got me
[05:29:29] MasterParty > wow im fucking amazed
[05:29:35] ScamAlt> enjoy
[05:29:43] MasterParty > wow
[05:30:04] MasterParty > wow and noob corp
[05:30:08] MasterParty > nicely done
[05:30:09] ScamAlt> yes
[05:30:10] ScamAlt> thanks friend
[05:30:28] MasterParty > i dont even know what to say tbh
[05:30:50] MasterParty > well you had your laugh want to return it?
[05:30:58] ScamAlt> hahah i hadnt laughed yet
[05:31:02] ScamAlt> but i did now that you asked for your money back
[05:31:52] MasterParty > well your a fucking asshole thats about all i have to say
Response Type #5: They fall for it and don't even realize it. They might actually fly the ship around thinking that it's a navy ship and thank you days later for the awesome deal you gave them. In some cases they might even tell their friends who also buy four more ships and wind up handing you 1.4 billion ISK for five Megathrons.
[15:24:52] Djavo > Hi
[15:24:57] ScamAlt> hey there!
[15:25:07] ScamAlt> they are not fitted
[15:25:08] ScamAlt> just empty ships
[15:25:47] Djavo > kk hm i got not enough for both just got 285 mio atm because i lost my five +5 imps this week^^
[15:25:56 ] ScamAlt> ouch man that stucks :/
[15:25:59 ] ScamAlt> sucks i mean
[15:26:09 ] ScamAlt> i guess i could make a deal, i do just want to get rid of these
[15:26:13 ] ScamAlt> would you do 275 for a navy mega?
[15:27:08 ] Djavo > kk 275 is a good price
[15:27:57 ] ScamAlt> i dont have any contract slots atm, can you dock at dodixie 9-20 and ill trade?
[15:28:14 ] Djavo > kk i am in dodie in 5 mins
[15:28:19 ] ScamAlt> ok no prob :) ill be here
[15:30:31 ] Djavo > i am at dodiexie 20
[15:30:58 ] ScamAlt> Dodixie IX - Moon 20
[15:31:02 ] ScamAlt> the main station in dodixie :)
[15:31:09 ] Djavo > jep
[15:31:11 ] ScamAlt> hehe
[15:31:45 ] Djavo > kk trade me on^^
[15:32:31 ] ScamAlt> enjoy :)
[15:32:35 ] Djavo > k ty^^
[15:33:15 ] Djavo > hm i should ask you from a friend how much mega navy you got again?
[15:33:27 ] ScamAlt> ive got a few more
[15:33:36] ScamAlt> he wants one?
[15:34:13] Djavo > hm yes he said but he send me even the money
[15:34:18] ScamAlt> ok no prob
[15:34:25] ScamAlt> 350 mil or is he looking for the special price too...? :P
[15:34:39] Djavo > i think he is looking for the special price^^
[15:35:06] ScamAlt> lol
[15:35:11] ScamAlt> you guys are going to bankrupt me
[15:35:13] ScamAlt> but fine
[15:36:48] Djavo > hehe^^
[15:37:12] Djavo > the whole corp want buy for that price but i said them just one more for this price^^
[15:37:22] ScamAlt> 350 mil is my normal price
[15:37:28] ScamAlt> i am really just trying to clear out stock though
[15:37:31] ScamAlt> i am moving out of dodixie
[15:37:42] ScamAlt> i have a few more megas if people want them and id be willing to do 275mil for them all for your corp
[15:38:23] ScamAlt> how many people wanted ships?
[15:38:41] Djavo > i ask even ^^^
[15:40:29] Djavo > k how much megas you got again?
[15:40:36] ScamAlt> 4 left
[15:40:42] Djavo > k i buy all
[15:40:45] ScamAlt> wow ok
[15:40:50] Djavo > each for 275
[15:40:54] ScamAlt> one sec
[15:40:56] Djavo > = 1,1 billion
[15:42:12] ScamAlt> grabbing last one
[15:42:17] Djavo > kk i wait^^
[15:42:29] ScamAlt> ok there we go
[15:43:24] Djavo > wait
[15:43:34] Djavo > need new price in^^
[15:43:39] ScamAlt> k
[15:43:50] Djavo > was just 110 mio^^
[15:43:57] ScamAlt> yea its tough when you cant see the ,
[15:44:04] ScamAlt> bad interface by ccp XD
[15:44:44] Djavo > so ty for trade^^
[15:44:47] ScamAlt> enjoy man
[15:44:48] ScamAlt> :)
[15:44:52] ScamAlt> tell your corpmates to have fun
[15:45:00] Djavo > ty so much^^
[01:36:01] Djavo > its all ok with you? ty for our deal before 2 days;)
The conclusion is that I made so much money that I couldn't even keep track of how much money I made. It was a small amount of effort compared to what it would take via other means to make this much ISK. It is one of the most morally unaccepted methods of making ISK in a game that is chock-ful of morally questionable acts and I assume that I am going to probably get at least a few scalding comments to this very post. I will be most unpleased if I do not get at least one arrogant and self-righteous comment from Leon VanUber.
- Hallan Turrek noticed a chatlog I posted in one of my recent posts about the very first scam I did in this group of scams over the past week. I scammed a guy for two Megathrons and Hallan assumed this meant I had lied to him during our CSM interview when I said that I had never scammed for more than a few hundred million. He felt compelled to write a blog post about this on his blog before contacting me in which case I could have cleared things up.
- Andrea Skye joined in on the scamming as well for a short period. He made over a billion ISK which was enough to buy and fit his dream ship, a Macherial. Only a few minutes after he was done setting it up and the first time he ever undocked it, it was surprise buttraped by a large gang of battleships that were cyno'd in via a Pilgrim. I have never, ever in my days playing Eve seen this happen. I am told it can be done somehow with a jump-bridge. On his blog he states that it was karma for the scamming but I simply think it was a case of having an attention grabbing faction ship undocked in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Xiphos83 won the chance to interview CCP Hammerhead a few months back and the interview is finally up on CrazyKinux's blog. I get a nice shout-out during one of the questions not to mention that there are a lot of good questions asked about lowsec and piracy. Thanks Xiphos!