Thursday, April 8, 2010

PAX East 2010 (Day 2)

Bill Amend

I was too lazy to get up and go to it, but Bill Amend had a panel early on Saturday morning. While I was still sleeping, my wife attended and got a couple of books signed:

PICTURE OF SIGNED BOOK
COMING EVENTUALLY

Cosplay and Costumes

There were more costumes this year than I believe I have seen at either year I attended PAX in Seattle:

Marcus Fenix and Son

Fruit Fucker

Brotherhood of Steel

One additional costume that I did not get to snap a picture of but heard a lot about was the Left 4 Dead witch. The video linked from Penny-Arcade gives a pretty idea of what she was like (and I wish I had managed to see it in person):


PAX East Musical Guests Panel

Seeing as how we were all extremely interested in seeing The Protomen up close (and I was personally interested in seeing Jonathan Coulton even if the rest of my friends don't like him) we linked up for the Mustical Guests Panel extra early. By "extra early" I mean "first-in-line-and-waiting-for-an-hour-and-a-half". Fortunately I had just purchased a new game from the expo hall called Fluxx. I was introduced to Fluxx by some nice attendees in line behind me earlier in the day and it is perhaps one of the least strategic games I have ever played. Fortunately it's randomness is quite entertaining and between that, my Nintendo DS and reading Bill Amend's book, the time passed quickly. Soon the panel was opened and we walked isnide... and sat down in the very front row! Unfortunately my iPhone takes ass pictures but this is one from a couple feet away from the members of The Protomen, Jonathan Coulton, Paul and Storm, Anamanaguchi, MC Frontalot, VGO and Metroid Metal:

They Look Really Fucking Bored

Many of the quests were silly and stupid and they were definitely skewed most towards The Protomen, MC Frontalot and Anamanaguchi. Regardless it was entertaining and very cool to get to see and hear from some of the musicians I have been listening to a lot recently.

Scott Kurtz

Scott Kurtz of PvPOnline.com did a panel at 10:30 PM. He was drunk and it was funny.

Concert - Jonathan Coulton

Concert was rushed and he didn't play a bunch of songs I really wanted to hear. Someone brought a custom-made stuffed half-pony half-monkey and it was put on stage during Skullcrusher Mountain. Metroid Metal and Paul and Storm all came on stage during a number of songs to give him backup vocals and a full band. I felt like absolute shit and was getting really sick but I stayed up til 2 AM anyhow because I like Jonathan Coulton and I would be willing to have his babies.


To Be Continued - Penny Arcade Expo East - DAY 3!

7 comments:

Omgah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nerdsbeware said...

I like how this review sorta reads as half-assed haha but at the same time, I didn't even do one, and at this point I probably won't either so at least you made it this far. Plus I pretty much saw the same stuff you did, so I'll probably link to here.

Man that weirdo in the Fruit Fucker pictures still haunts my dreams.

Also my "Word Verification" code was Scudp. Think that kids face down in a gutter somewhere now?

Spectre said...

I meant to do better posts for this shit but I just couldn't find the motivation. Maybe I'll redo it later.

Nerdsbeware said...

Agreed. It was fun, but probably not as fun for people who weren't there to read about us playing a card game they never heard of, or talk about sitting in line for hours.

I might just do a post on Fluxx/Shootin' Ladders, but we'll see.

Anonymous said...

PAX seems gay tbh.

Anonymous said...

PAX seems gay tbh.

PISSFUCK said...

PROTOMEN FO LYFE
FUCK JONATHAN COULTON AND HIS SHITTY SONGS