Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Incursus Is Pretty Awesome Now

The Incursus Is Pretty Awesome Now

When I was very new to piracy, I was a bit of a dolt. Rather than flying the super effective and efficient Rifter, I stubbornly stuck with my Gallente roots and flew the Incursus. Years ago, you would pretty much have to fit it like this:

[Incursus, Old Buffer Tank]
Damage Control OR Magnetic Field Stabilizer
200mm Plate


1MN Microwarpdrive
Scrambler/Disruptor
Web


Light Electron Blaster
Light Electron Blaster
Light Electron Blaster

A Drone


Not spectacular. You were pretty much guaranteed to get shut down by any competently fit Rifter or Punisher or a number of other frigs and cruisers. Really the only reason I ever got kills in it was because so many people fit their ships like shit. Then I leave for a bit, come back, and the Incursus is suddenly more attractive than even the Taranis due to the balance changes. Take this fit recommended to me by Sarah xCalibre:

[Incursus, New Active Armor Tank]
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Small Armor Repairer II
Small Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

1MN Afterburner II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
Small Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 200

Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Hobgoblin II x1

Looks interesting. A hefty tank with Gallente Frigates V trained and good fitting skills. 160 DPS to boot and it would be higher if you swap the EANM for a Magnetic Field Stabilizer. After pulling together the ship, the mods, the rigs, the ammo and the cap boosters, I decided to take this bad boy out for a spin. My first engagement just happened to be... another solo Incursus. Sitting on the gate to a plex, I landed and quickly locked him up and started laying in with my blasters. Soon he did the same and we started into a 500m orbit dance of death... or so we thought it would be. Five minutes later, we are still both firing away and repairing most of the damage. A couple of times I see his ship dip into structure but it is almost immediately compensated for and he repairs his armor back to full. I overload my guns until they are 90% damaged and can take no more and still we have not broken each others tank. Ten minutes have gone by and we are still circling, my cap boosters are starting to run dry and I have had to reload my guns multiple times. Fifteen minutes pass and I am amazed... we are still circling, still firing and I have nearly run out of ammo and cap boosters. Will he break before I do?

Before we can finish, a Condor and Merlin suddenly land on the gate where we have been fighting. One of the things about lowsec is that no targets go unseen for long and after 15 minutes in the same spot, we have finally been interupted. My opponent throws out a "gf" into local and warps off as the intruders tackle me. I turn my drained Incursus towards a planet, overheat my afterburner and try to make a break for it but there is no escape from a Condor doing 3500 m/s with a long range Disruptor. Fortunately the Merlin has a very difficult time catching up and I find myself easily tanking the Condors piss DPS with just a single armor repairer and no capacitor boosters. Another five minutes pass of me burning towards different celestials trying to warp as the Merlin tries to catch up and the Condor tries to do more than shit for damage.

Ten minutes pass and we are now hundreds of kilometers away from the gate where the original fight had taken place. I feel like I have been in a super alert fight mode forever. I don't know if I can ever remember an encounter having lasted this long in my entire time as a pilot. Off in the distance I see a Thrasher land. He is in the Condor and Merlins corporation and begins to burn towards us at several thousand meters per second. A Stiletto also lands, a bystander who simply wants to watch the show.

Finally after more minutes off waiting, the Merlin is finally starting to catch up to me and the Thrasher has burned into firing range. I have pretty much accepted I will be dead after almost 30 minutes of nonstop armor repairing. I target the Thrasher and turn on my blasters and scramble him and blow my very last cap charge and my last few volleys of ammo. To my great surprise, his shields begin to melt and he backs off. I see the distances on all three ships begin to adjust and they blip off my overview. They warped.

Thirty minutes of combat, four frigate opponents, probably tens-of-thousands of damage repaired, no ammo left, no cap boosters left, most modules almost burned out and my Incursus didn't even die. Or get a kill. What a crazy ship this is now.


[ 00:19:31 ] Julius Tavers > WOuld have boiled down to who ran out of cap boosters first
[ 00:19:39 ] Spectre3353 > i was down to like 2 when they dropped
[ 00:19:41 ] Spectre3353 > and almost out of ammo too
[ 00:19:43 ] Spectre3353 > i think you would have had it
[ 00:19:47 ] Julius Tavers > SHIT!
[ 00:19:49 ] Spectre3353 > haha
[ 00:19:51 ] Julius Tavers > I had like 14


The First Rule of Lowsec...

...is that there is always someone stupid doing something stupid somewhere. All you have to do is put yourself in a position to take advantage of it. Like when you are roaming around in nano-cruisers and a young pilot in a Raven Navy Issue decides that flying through the Mara->Dantumi gate is a good idea.

Or when a slightly less young pilot in a Tempest Fleet Issue with an extremely expensive faction fit decides to not only jump into Aurohunen with you but to engage you on the other side of the gate instead of burning back and saving himself.

3 comments:

Roman said...

Spectre,

Welcome back to EVE!
Your posts are as entertaining as ever.
Hope you stick around for awhile.

Sarah xCalibre said...

Id just like to point out that my fit I showed Spectre wasnt actually the one he listed in his post, I use Navy Cap 400 charges and slightly different rigs :P

Spectre said...

I probably should have worded it differently. It was more like you gave me the general outline and I just put a very similar fit together and tried it out. Regardless it was sweet.